A course in searching and depositing language data
Join a two-hour introductory course in searching and depositing language data in the Clarino Bergen Center.
The course gives you an overview and introduction to the use of the language data infrastructure Clarin. You will be trained in using the quality-assured language data resources and become familiar with faceted searches in the Virtual Language Observatory to explore and utilize linguistic resources, services and tools available through Clarin.
Furthermore, you learn the self-service routine for depositing your own data in Clarin, more specifically by entering a data set in the Clarino Bergen Center Repository.
Choice of license is also a topic in the course, and entry of basic metadata is reviewed.
The course is suitable for students at 300 level and PhD students in linguistics and other language subjects, as well as digital culture.
The course will be held in Norwegian. Link to registration can be found in the right margin of this web page.
A certificate of participation is given after completing an exercise with the deposit of a data set during the course.
Resources and literature tips:
- Clarin Virtual Language Observatory: https://vlo.clarin.eu/
- Clarino Bergen Centre Repository: https://repo.clarino.uib.no/
- Berez-Kroeker, Andrea L., Lauren Gawne, Susan Smythe Kung, Barbara F. Kelly, Tyler Heston, Gary Holton, Peter Pulsifer, et al. 2018. «Reproducible Research in Linguistics: A Position Statement on Data Citation and Attribution in Our Field». Linguistics56 (1): 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1515/ling-2017-0032
- FAIR-principles: https://www.go-fair.org/fair-principles/
- Guidelines to the Rules on Open Access to Scientific Publications and Open Access to Research Data in Horizon 2020: https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/grants_manual/hi/oa_pilot/h2020-hi-oa-pilot-guide_en.pdf