Philosophy Addressing Global Challenges
- Offer a rigorous teaching program in Philosophy
- Offer Philosophy courses that are relevant for students in all disciplines
- Offer high quality introductory courses in Philosophy, with relevance for students in all Faculties
- Publish basic research in leading international Philosophy journals
- Publish Philosophy research relevant for global public policy
- Offer continuing education courses and participate actively in public policy debates
Department of Philosophy at the University of Bergen is a large department, responsible both for the teaching of Philosophy at all levels and for teaching general education courses for students in all the Faculties of the University. We offer bachelor- and master-programs in Philosophy, and currently supervise thirteen doctoral candidates. We are also responsible for an interdisciplinary Rhetoric program. The Department is particularly strong in the areas of Ethics and Political Philosophy, Ancient Philosophy, Philosophy of Language, Logic and Mathematics, Philosophy of Science, Mind and Wittgenstein studies. Most of our faculty members are engaged in work that crosses into other disciplines including cognitive science, medicine, and environmental studies. We currently hold three prestigious major research grants on Logic, philosophy of causation and Wittgenstein’s philosophy of mathematics. The Department of Philosophy is home to the The Wittgenstein Archives.