University of Bergen Library

Publication Fund – Frequently Asked Questions

Main content

How do I apply for funds?

Request for funding should be made after submission of the publication and before entering into an agreement with the publisher, by completing this form. Only corresponding authors may apply.

Are all types of articles and books eligible for funding?

The article or book must be an academic publication as defined in the reporting requirements in CRIStin, and count in the Norwegian funding model.

Articles must be original peer reviewed articles or academic overview articles, not other material, eg. editorials, commentaries, debates, book reviews, interviews/current affairs, bibliographies, etc.

Books must be peer reviewed academic monographs or anthologies. Textbooks (books written specifically for teaching purposes), and books targeting a general audience are not eligible.

What publication channels are eligible for funding?

  1. The publication fund may provide funding up to NOK 36 000 + taxes to cover article processing charges (APC) to publish in eligible open access journals.
  2. The publication fund may provide funding up to NOK 120 000 + taxes to publish an open access monograph.
  3. The publication fund may provide funding up to NOK 36 000 + taxes to publish a chapter in an open access anthology. The whole anthology must be published open access. The amount of funding will be based on the total cost of the book and the share of UiB authors.

Articles in subscription journals with a hybrid open access model are not eligible for funding.

How do I know if a journal is an Open Access journal?

An Open Access journal does not charge readers or their institutions for access to published articles. All of the content in the journal will be available without access restrictions.

To confirm if a journal is an Open Access journal that is eligible for funding from the publication fund, please check the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).

What is hybrid Open Access?

Hybrid Open Access implies that individual articles are published Open Access in subscription journals. Hybrid journals publish some articles Open Access which are free of charge to readers, while they charge readers or their institutions (a subscription fee) for access to the remainder of the articles.

Most subscription journals have a hybrid option, these are typically called «Open choice» (Springer), «OnlineOpen» (Wiley), «Open Select» (Taylor & Francis), «Supports Open Access» (Elsevier).

What are article processing charges (APC)?

An article processing charge (APC) is a fee that journals charge to publish an article Open Access. Other types of publication fees that are charged for color pages, illustrations, extra pages, translations, proofreading etc are not covered by the publication fund.

What is a Creative Commons-license?

Creative Commons (CC) licenses offer an internationally established legal structure that is aligned with the aims of Open Access, to make research available for everyone. Creative Commons licenses are not an alternative to copyright, but they give the copyright holder the opportunity to allow additional use and re-use of the material. All CC-licenses require that the copyright holder is attributed as the creator of the work. Read more about Creative Commons licenses.

How do I upload my publication in CRIStin?

When a publication is registered in CRIStin you can upload the full-text of the publication by clicking on the “Deliver full-text document” beneath the entry.  You must be logged in to CRIStin to be able to do this.

When uploaded in CRIStin the publication will be deposited in the University of Bergen's online institutional repository, Bergen Open Research Archive (BORA). This ensures that the publication will be permanently available Open Access.

How can I make my publication Open Access if it is not eligible for funding?

There are other options to make your research openly available besides publishing it Open Access. Most publishers allow a version of an article to be made freely and openly available through an institutional repository, like UiB's BORA. Please contact bora@uib.no for assistance.