External Examination for Exchange Students
On some occasions, we may make arrangements for students to sit external examinations at UiB.
External examination (exam) means to sit another university’s exams on UiB's premises and with UiB staff as invigilators.
This applies primarily to incoming exchange students who need to sit an external exam at UiB in order to complete a semester at their home institution if the semester dates at the home institution and the semester dates in Norway overlap.
A. Conditions for sitting external exams at UiB:
- The student must send a request through Skjemaker at least 4 weeks prior to the exam date
- The student must be enrolled at UiB at the time of the examination
- The examination must be held during regular working hours at UiB, and start at the same time as other exams at UiB (normally 09:00 am Norwegian time.*)
- Examination papers must normally be received by the Division of Student Affairs at least three days before the exam. The exam papers should preferably be sent electronically
- The Division of Student Affairs will normally send the answer sheets by email to the student’s home institution. Courier may be used if necessary.
B. It is the responsibility of the Division of Student Affairs to:
- Process requests for external examinations and grant or reject them
- Find an appropriate examination location and invigilator
- Liaise with the student’s home institution and arrange the dispatch of the examination papers
- Inform the student of the time and place of the examination
- Receive the examination papers sent by the student’s home institution
- Send the answer sheet to the home institution
C. It is the student’s responsibility to:
- Make a request through Skjemaker no later than 4 weeks prior to the exam and provide the name and contact information of a contact person at their home institution
- Keep informed about the examination and its practicalities
- Make sure that the Division of Student Affairs (email@example.com) has received the examination papers no later than 3 days prior to the exam, and if necessary, send a reminder to the home institution if the papers have not arrived.
*Examinations cannot be held on public holidays in Norway.