Register with the Police
International students must register with the local police upon arrival. Find relevant instructions below based on your citizenship.
- Citizens from Nordic countries
- Students staying less than 3 months
Register online and visit the police station
Who: EU/EEA/EFTA citizens staying in Norway for more than 3 months. No fee is required.
Please note that you do not have to book an appointment in advance, as UiB has been allocated appointments for their students.
- Bring these documents:
- Passport/National ID card (original). Gender must be stated in the passport/ID card.
- Letter of Acceptance (printed copy)
- European Health Insurance Card or other health insurance documentation (original or printed copy).
- Personal declaration stating that you have sufficient funds to support yourself (printed and signed copy).
- Register with the police:
- 28 August 09:00–14:30: Students with last names starting with A - M*
- 29 August 09:00–14:30: Students with last names starting with N - Z (Å)*
Meet at the Service centre for foreign workers at Nonnesetergaten 4.
*We advise you to be there early and make sure you draw a queue number between 09:00 - 11.00 to be able to be serviced
Students that arrive after the UIB allocated appointment must register in advance and meet at Service centre for foreign workers. It is not necessary to book an appointment in advance.
Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens: Applied from home
Apply for a Residence Card
Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens staying in Norway for more than 3 months must apply for a residence card at the Bergen Immigration Office.
The letter from the Norwegian Immigration Authorities (UDI) states that you need to go to the police within 7 days after arrival. This does not apply to UiB students, as UiB has been allocated appointments for their students:
- Friday 23 August 09:00 – 11:30: Students with last names starting with A - M*
- Friday 30 August 09:30 – 11:30: Students with last names starting with N- Z (Å)*
*We advise you to be there early as there will be many students waiting to apply for the residence card.
The Bergen Immigration Office (Bergen South Police Station) is located at Nesttunbrekka 95 (light rail stop Skjoldskiftet).
Documentation required to apply for a Residence card:
- Address in Norway: It is extremedly important that you bring your correct and complete address to the police appointmet.
Students can collect their Residence card at the International Centre [date to be announced later].
Students arriving after the 30 August:
Meet at the Bergen Immigration Office (Bergen South Police Station), at Nesttunbrekka 95 (light rail stop Skjoldskiftet).
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 09:00-13:00
- Tuesday from 09:00-11:30
*The Bergen immigraton Office is closed every Friday
Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens: Applying from Norway
Apply for a study permit
Certain groups of students are exempt from the requirement that a residence permit must have been granted before entering Norway. This applies to applicants who:
- are mediated via Fulbright or the Research Council of Norway (NFR)
- have a scholarship from a Norwegian public institution
- are here to study at a higher education institution under an exchange scheme organised by the EU or under a bilateral agreement between a Norwegian and foreign higher education institution.
Book a personal appointment
Applications from Norway must be submitted in person to the police in the district where the student lives. You must book a personal appointment in UDI's Application portal and follow the intructions. We urge you to do it as soon as possible after arrival in Norway.
You cannot attend the scheduled UiB appointments when applying from Norway.
- Print UDI's checklist and gather the necessary documents.
- Apply on UDI's Application Portal and pay the application fee.
- Book a personal appointment in the portal at the Bergen South Police Station (Bergen Immigration Office).
- Hand in the application and required documents:
- At the Bergen Immigration Office (Bergen South Police Station)
- Address: Nesttunbrekka 95 (light rail stop Skjoldskiftet)
- Collect your residence card
- Where: At the International Centre (date to be announced).