Register with the Police
International students must register with the local police upon arrival. Find relevant instructions below based on your citizenship.
- Citizens from Nordic countries
- Students staying less than 3 months
Register online and visit the police station
Who: EU/EEA/EFTA citizens staying in Norway for more than 3 months. No fee is required.
*Please note that this also applies for students that are British citizens, as Norway and the United Kingdom signed a transition period agreement, that is valid until the 31 December 2020. For more information see UDI.no
- Register at UDI's Application Portal. Use UDI's Online registration guide for assistance if needed.
- Bring these documents:
- Passport/National ID card (original). Gender must be stated in the passport/ID card.
- Letter of Acceptance (printed copy)
- European Health Insurance Card or other health insurance documentation (original or printed copy).
- Personal declaration stating that you have sufficient funds to support yourself (printed and signed copy).
- Students staying in Norway for more than 6 months must in addition bring a copy of their tenancy agreement and complete the following form: https://www.skatteetaten.no/en/person/national-registry/moving/to-Norway/
Students that arrive after the UIB allocated appointments, must register and book an appointment in advance and meet at Service centre for foreign workers on the schedule appointment day. The appointment must be booked throught the UDI's Application Portal.
Please note that the same procedure applies for students that cannot attend the UIB allocated appointments.
Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens: Applied from home
Apply for a Residence Card
Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens staying in Norway for more than 3 months must apply for a residence card at the Bergen Immigration Office.
The letter from the Norwegian Immigration Authorities (UDI) states that you need to go to the police within 7 days after arrival. This does not apply to UiB students, as UiB has been allocated appointments for their students:
Address: The Bergen Immigration Office is located at Krokatjønnveien 5, 1st floor Fyllingsdalen (bus nr.4 from outside Xhibition Shopping Centre).
Documentation required to apply for a Residence card:
- Address in Norway: It is extremely important that you bring your correct and complete address to the police appointmet.
Students can collect their residence card at the International Centre upon notification from the international admission team.
Students arriving late
*Adress: Krokatjønnveien 5, 1st floor Fyllingsdalen (bus nr.4 from outside Xhibition Shopping Centre).
|Students should not book any trips abroad, until they have obtained a valid residence card. For more information www.udi.no|
Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens: Applying from Norway
Apply for a study permit
Certain groups of students are exempt from the requirement that a residence permit must have been granted before entering Norway. This applies to applicants who:
- are mediated via Fulbright or the Research Council of Norway (NFR)
- have a scholarship from a Norwegian public institution
- are here to study at a higher education institution under an exchange scheme organised by the EU or under a bilateral agreement between a Norwegian and foreign higher education institution.
- Have a valid Schengen visa in one of the countries in the Schengen area.
Book a personal appointment
Applications from Norway must be submitted in person to the police in the district where the student lives. You must book a personal appointment in UDI's Application portal and follow the intructions. We urge you to do it as soon as possible after arrival in Norway.
You cannot attend the scheduled UiB appointments when applying from Norway.
- Print UDI's checklist and gather the necessary documents.
- Apply on UDI's Application Portal and pay the application fee.
- Book a personal appointment in the portal at the Bergen South Police Station (Bergen Immigration Office).
- Hand in the application and required documents:
- At the Bergen Immigration Office (Bergen South Police Station)
- Address: Nesttunbrekka 95 (light rail stop Skjoldskiftet)
- Collect your residence card
- Where: At the International Centre (date to be announced).