Food and Feast in the Arthurian World
Welcome to the 4th International Conference of the International Arthurian Society, Nordic Branch, in Bergen 4–6 May, 2022.
The Fourth International Conference of the Nordic Branch of the International Arthurian Society will be held in Bergen on 4–6 May 2022. The main theme of the conference will be Food and Feast in the Arthurian World.
Feasting is very much at the core of courtly ideals and courtly life and plays a crucial role in Arthurian and other courtly narratives. Splendid banquets with a cornucopia of luxury dishes are indispensable in this context, as is shiny tableware of glass and gold, proper attire, suitable entertainment, lots of servants and, most importantly, refined table manners. Together, they take the social event of a courtly meal to the highest possible level, turning it into a performative and interactive show of power, splendour and ethics of the elite.
The conference addresses the topic of food and feast with a set of perspectives:
- A multi-disciplinary approach that invites contributions from various fields, such as literary studies, history, art history, archaeology, food history and so forth
- A focus on the Nordic versions of Arthurian and other courtly romances and their Icelandic sequels within their European context, thus welcoming comparative contributions
- A theoretical interest in the wider social and cultural frames of the phenomenon
Proposals for papers and poster presentations
- The conference languages are English and Scandinavian and papers will be 20 minutes in length.
- Proposals should include the author’s name, affiliation(s) and email address, a brief author biography/CV and an abstract of approximately 500 words.
- Proposals should be submitted before 31 October 2021.
- All proposals will be reviewed by a scientific committee. In addition to conventional papers, the participants are invited to propose poster presentations.
- It is the intention of the organizers to publish selected conference proceedings.
- April 2021: Call for papers
- 31 October 2021: Deadline for submission of abstracts
- 15 December 2021: Review of abstracts completed
- 15 January 2022: Programme published, online registration opens