Parking at the University
From 01.09.2023, there is a new parking system at UiB. For updated information about the new system, please see this page.
Note: In order to park at UiB you must have an active UiB parking permit. If you do not have this registered in the Park Nordic app, you will still get a parking ticket even if you have paid for parking. Also note that so far, only Norwegian phone numbers can be registered in the Park Nordic app.
All who use UiB parking space must have an active parking permit. You can get your parking permit by registering in the Park Nordic parking app, ensuring that you have an active parking agreement in the app. In order to park at a parking spot marked by a sign saying “reservert” you must have a special permit (whitelisting).
Whenever you have obtained your parking permit, you may park at an UiB parking space and use the app to pay for the parking time. You can choose to either pay each time you park, or to pay for 30 days of parking at a time. This applies to both the student/employee parking spots and to reserved spots.
MC parking spots and HC-spots are exempt from the parking fee. Exceptions will be clearly marked.
The UiB parking areas are subject to parking surveillance and enforcement 24-7.
Do you have to renew your parking agreement?
The parking permit that applies to pay-per-use payment is automatically renewed in the app every three months. It is renewed automatically as long as you are employed or a student at UiB.
The parking permit that applies to monthly (30 days) subscription purchases is extended until it is terminated or you are no longer employed or a student. The cancellation period for monthly subscriptions starts in the 30-day period the cancellation is registered and extends into the following period.
NOTE: employees and students who have previously had a parking permit in the Aimo Park app, are themselves responsible for registering the parking permit in the Park Nordic app when using it for the first time. Simply paying for parking is not sufficient, as the UiB parking permit does not transfer automatically from the Aimo Park app to the Park Nordic app.
Are you unsure whether you have an active parking permit?
Employees and students must have an active parking permit to make use of open parking spots at UiB. This includes spots for electric cars and handicap spots.
You can check the status of your parking permits in the Park Nordic parking app. You will find a summary of active parking permits, how long these will last, and the vehicle registration number connected to the permits at the App’s home screen.
The screenshots below show you how the parking app looks when you have a parking agreement to pay for each individual day/parking period.
If you want to pay for a whole month at a time, you must use the product "UiB - månedsparkering - ansatt og student". The screenshot below shows how the app will look if you have activated this product.
The product "Kupongkodeparkering" is only for external personel that have been given a temporary permit to park at UiB. If you make use of this product yoou must register a new parking permit and pay every day. The screenshot below shows you how the homepage in the app will look when you have registered a "kupongkodeparkering" and have an active parking permit.
Parking at specially reserved spots require a special parking permit (whitelisting), this is administered by the UiB unit that manages the spot.
Step by step guide on how to activate parking in the parking app.
Also see the PDF step by step guide (only in Norwegian).
Step by step guide on how to pay each time you park
- Download the "Park Nordic" app in Apple Store or Google Play.
- Follow the points for registration and add a payment card.
- Press the symbol for "Parkeringsavtale".
- Choose the product "UiB-Ansatt og student".
- Press "videre".
- Add the vehicle's registration number. You may add up to 3 different vehicles per user. Note that only one of these vehicles may be parked at a UiB parking spot at a time.
Choose starting date.
Enter your feide username (not your email adress).
- The app will check if your have a currently active UiB user account. Press "OK".
- The parking agreement is active and will be visible at the app start screen.
- If you wish to change or add a registration number, press "endre".
- Press the symbol "start parkering"
- Press "velg sone"
- Enter "UiB" or scroll down to "80001" (If you have given the app access to your location this will be one of the choices at the top of the list).
- Choose vehicle (if you have registered more than one in the app).
- Choose either
- Løpende parkering (must be deactivated when you leave, otherwise it is automatically ended at midnight).
- Sett parkeringstid (parking will end at a time of your choice).
- Parking is active
Note: If you experience problems downloading the parking permit in the app, you can first go to your profile in the ParkNordic app and add information about your name, address, and email there. This way, you can avoid having to add this information when downloading the parking permit, and downloading the parking permit for UiB should work.
Step by step guide for monthly payment
- Download the "Park Nordic" app from the Apple Store or Google Play.
- Follow the steps in the app for registration and add your payment card.
- Tap on the "Parkeringsavtale" symbol.
- Choose the product "UiB-Månedsparkering-Ansatte og student".
- Press "videre." (Please note that the agreement is automatically renewed after 30 days, and the cancellation period extends until the end of the 30-day period in which the cancellation is received, plus the following period).
- Enter the vehicle's registration number. Up to 3 vehicles per user. NOTE! Only one of your registered vehicles can park at a UiB parking space a time.
Select the start date.
Enter your Feide username (only the letters and numbers before @uib.no, not your email adress).
Press "kjøp". NOTE! You will be immediately charged for 30 days of parking (price: 1200 kroner).
- The app will verify against Feide that you have an active UiB user. Press "OK."
- The parking agreement is now active and paid for.
- If you wish to change or add a registration number, press "endre". NOTE! If you use different registration numbers, you must ensure that the chosen registration number matches the one you are parking with on the current agreement - if not, you must change it to the registration number you are using that day.
Step by step guide for "kupongkodeparkering"
How to activate and pay with a "kupongkode":
- Download the "Park Nordic" app from the Apple Store or Google Play.
- Follow the steps in the app for registration and add your payment card.
- Tap on the "parkeringsavtale" symbol.
- Choose the product "UiB-kupongkodeparkering".
- Press "videre".
- Enter the vehicle's registration number (you can only add one vehicle per day).
Select the start date.
Enter the validation code (kupongkode).
Press "kjøp". NOTE! You will be immediately charged for 1 day of parking (currently 60 kroner).
- The app will verify that the coupon code is valid. Press "OK."
- The parking agreement is now active.
- If you wish to change the registration number, press "Edit."
Parking without using a smartphone
In order to register and pay for payment from a computer, please follow this guide. (The guide is in Norwegian).
You can register at Parknordic.no, then choose Leie -> Privat -> Bergen -> UiB parkeringsområder. Choose the parking area you want to park at (normal parking), or the parking area where you usually park (monthly payment). The active permit applies to all UiB-parking areas, and you don't need to do anything else in order to park at a different area than the one you chose.
Årstadveien 19, Årstadveien 21 and Allégaten 55 - camera reading
- Cameras that read and registering the vehicles' licence plates (camera reading) have been installed in the garage facility at Årstadveien 19.
The solution for employees and students is not ready, employees and students must therefore pay the patient parking rates for now. A temporary maximum daily rate of 60 NOK has been set for parking at the garage facility.
- Employees and students who park at Årstadveien 19, must have an active parking permit in the Park Nordic app (see instructions in the "Step by Step - How to Activate Parking Permit" and the "Step by Step guide on how to pay each time you park" sections - monthly parking cannot be used for parking at Årstadveien 19, the garage, for now).
- Payment - Employees and students who park at Årstadveien 19, the garage, must untill further notice, make payments through the EasyPark app, and it is recommended to activate the camera reading feature in this app so that payment is automatically registered. You can then enter and exit the garage as with no further action required. Download the app from the Apple Store or Google Play and follow the instructions in the app for registration. If you do not activate camera reading in the EasyPark app, you must pay at the machine in the garage each time before exiting the garage.
There is an extra fee for parking at Easypark areas, but the maximum fee of 60 NOK for a whole day includes this fee.
Årstadveien 21 and Allégaten 55
- At the parking areas at Årstadveien 21 and Allegaten 55, there will be camera reading during the autumn of 2023. For now, there is a regular parking arrangement for open spaces with payment in the app, either per use or by purchasing a monthly subscription as normal.
Prices from 01.09.2023
- UiB price: 10 NOK an hour – Maximum 60 NOK a day (00:00-23:59).
Electric vehicles must also pay for the electrcity they use. The price is 4 NOK per kilowatt-hour.
- HC-parking is free at UiB. Any exceptions will be clearly marked.
You must have a HC parking permit from the municipality in addition to your UiB parking permit to make use of these parking spots.
- Motorcycle parking spots are free to use.
- Patient parking at the garage at Årstadveien 19 costs 10 Norwegian kroner per half-hour for the first two hours, then 10 Norwegian kroner per hour. The maximum price is 60 Norwegian kroner per day, until the integration of the app for employees/students is in place.
Tip: If you are moving your car from one part of campus to another, it may be better to let the parking period run rather than start a new one.
If you do start a new parking period, you may end up paying more than the 60/90 NOK per day payment limit.
Note: This does not apply to parking areas with camera reading - principally in the garage facility at Årstadveien 19 (camera reading will also be installed at Årstadveien 21 and Allegaten 55 during the fall of 2023). At these parking lots, the registration number is automatically read when exiting and the parking time is terminated. You must then start a new parking session in the app when parking in a different area - or enter a facility with camera reading again.
Reserved parking spots
There are only a few reserved parking spots at UiB. Units that have been granted reserved spots must ensure that any the cars that are to make use of them are whitelisted.
One must pay for reserved spots in the same way as for open spots.
Leasing garage space for 2024
The University has two parking garages that are available to lease for employees and students.
Dokkeveien garasjeanlegg (97 spots) – employees and students can apply.
The Haukeland area (102 spots) – employees and student can apply. The Parking spots are spread over four different parking garages and 3 are run by Helse Bergen. These are:
- AHH tilfluktsrom (5 spots)
- Ulriksdalen parking garage (78 spots)(Note that students and UiB employees are not allowed to make use of the first floor of this parking house).
- Fløenbakken 56 parking garage (12 spots).
- The UiB garage under BB-bygget (7 spots).
Note that the height of the Fløenbakken garage is only 185 cm. If you have a tall car or a a car with a ski-box it may not fit in the garage.
Applying for a garage spot
If you want to lease space in one of the garages you must apply through our electronic application form (the form is in Norwegian).
The first deadline for applying for 2024 is the 03.12.2023. Any applications that are received after that date will be considered if there are space left in the relevant garage. In the ordinary application period students and employees with children in kindergarten or 1st grade will be prioritized (this must be documented).
Emeriti may apply only after the deadline has passed and will be assigned a parking space if one is available.
The price to lease space in a UiB parking garage is 9000 NOK per year. Payment is due twice a year (4500 NOK each time), in December and June, and the first instalment must be paid before the leasing period begins and before access to the garage is given.
The leasing period runs from 01.01.24 to 31.12.24.
It is not possible to apply for a shorter leasing period in the ordinary application round.
You may only cancel the lease every half year. The deadline for cancelling the lease is June 1st.
If you are assigned a spot after the ordinary application, but in the period 01.01 – 30.06, you will be charged for the full year. If you only lease a spot from 01.07 – 31.12, you only have to pay for half a year.
Information about parking at UiB
On September 28th, 2019, the University Board decided to change the parking system at UiB as part of a broader strategy for combating climate change. This included the introduction of paid parking, removal of most reserved parking spots, and a reduction in the number of parking space overall.
All employees and students that wants to make use of UiB parking spots must first have an electronic parking permit in the Aimo Park Norway AS app. For parking at the remaining reserved parking spots a special dispensation (whitelisting) is needed. In addition, all parking periods must be registered in the app each time. This includes parking at reserved spots.
For leasing a garage spot at Dokkeveien and Haukelandsområdet, see the terms above.
When you apply for an employee/student electronic parking permit at UiB, you also agree the UiB parking terms.
The parking facilities at UiB is very limited, and employees and students should make their own arrangements if they find that UiB’s facilities are full.
Leaving your car parked overnight is not allowed at UiB parking spaces, and the UiB parking spaces are subject to parking control 24-7. This means that students and employees that live close to campus are not to make use of UiB parking spaces beyond normal working and study hours. Any individual needs for full time parking must be met in other ways.
UiB Parking Terms
UiB parking is based on a first come first served parking strategy.
The parking spaces are available to employees and student in the time they spend working or studying at campus. UiB parking space is not available for overnight parking. Whenever ordinary working hours are done for the day, the parking space should be empty, allowing them to fill up on a first come first served basis the following day.
Illegal parking may, without warning, result in parking tickets or the car being impounded. Any car removal following illegal parking at UiB parking space is done at the risk and cost of the owner of the car. This includes cars that are parked overnight. Impounded cars will be returned as soon as the parking ticket and impound fee is paid.
When applying for a parking permit at UiB the applicant agrees to the following terms and conditions.
- The permit covers daytime parking at UiB parking space that are available for all students and employees. Parking at reserved spots require a special permit.
- Parking is to be conducted following the Universty’s rules and terms for parking, and in accordance with signs and markings at the parking lot.
- Parking at UiB parking space must be done in accordance with Norwegian traffic regulations.
- The University of Bergen is not responsible for theft or damage done to the vehicle while it is parked at a UiB parking spot. This includes theft or damage to any items stored in the car.
- A parking agreement must be made through the Aimo Park parking app. The parking permit is electronic and connected to the licence plate number of the relevant car. You are personally responsible for making sure that the correct licence plate number is registered in the parking app.
- The parking permit only applies in the given permit period. The permit only applies as long as the holder of the permit is a student or employee at UiB.
- Parking that breaks with these terms, parking signs or parking space markings may, without any warning, lead to the issuing of parking tickets and/or the impounding of the vehicle at the owner’s risk and expense.
- Serious or repeated violations of the parking terms can result in the cancellation of the parking permit.
Who can park?
At every UiB parking area there are signs informing about the terms that applies to that particular parking area. Anyone who makes use of the parking facilities must familiarize themselves with these terms.
Types of UiB parking spaces
- Parking for employees and students (“open parking spots”) – electronic parking permit plus payment is needed.
Employees and students with an active UiB parking permit may park at spots that are not marked as reserved.
- Electric cars / charging stations for electric cars (electric car spots) – electronic parking permit plus payment is needed.
Employees and students that uses an electric car and have an active electronic parking permit for “open parking spots”, may park at spots with a charging station. Be advised that you may only make use of these parking spots as long as you are actively charging your car at the charging station.
- Handicap parking (HC-spots) – electronic parking permit plus a HC-permit from the City of Bergen.
Employees and students with aan active permit for “open parking spots” may park at HC-spots if they also have HC-permit from the City of Bergen. There is no parking fee for HC-spots.
- Motorcycle parking (MC-parking).
Employees and students with an active permit for “open spots” may park their motorcycles at parking spots marked for MC-parking. Motorcycles must be placed in marked MC-spots. Do not park your motorcycles anywhere else on campus.
- Parking for service cars – a special parking permit (whitelisting) is needed.
There are several parking spots spread around campus that are reserved for service cars. Only service cars marked with the UiB logo, or the Norwegian Coat of Arms may make use of these spots. These cars are whitelisted by the Estate and Facilities Management Division (EIA). Private cars may not use these parking spots, when used as service cars.
- Patient parking – payment or registration on iPad is needed.
There are several reserved parking spots for patients at Odontologisk Universitetsklinikk and Alrek Helseklynge at garage at Årstadveien 19, and for participants in surveys at the Research Unit for Health Surveys (FHI) at Årstadveien 21.
Reserved parking can only be used during the treatment or survey.
At Årstadveien 19 your licence plate number will be automatically registered by camera, and the parking fee will be automatically registered to the car. The patient can choose to pay at the payment kiosk in the garage, by using the Aimo Park app, or receive a bill in the mail.
Employees and students that park within the parking barrier on level 2 in Årstadveien 19 must have an active electronic parking permit and use the Aimo Park app to pay.
At Årstadveien 21 the patients must register their car in a parking kiosk (iPad) at the patient reception.
- Parking for contractors and service firms – a special parking permit (whitelisting) is needed.
There are a few reserved spots that firms hired by UiB can use if they have a special permit. The Estate and Property Management Divisions’ Operations Areas can register electronic parking permits (whitelisting) for these parking spots.
- Visitor parking
Beside patient parking and parking for service firms, there are no parking space set aside for visitors to UiB. External visitors are kindly asked to make use of public parking space.
The one exception to this rule is at Kalfarveien 31, where 5 spots have been set aside for visitors. Visitors must register at the iPad-kiosk.
Reserved parking space for UiB units – a special parking permit (whitelisting) is needed + payment.
A few parking spots at UiB are reserved for use by the UiB units (faculties, departments, administration etc.). These may only be used if the vehicle in question has an electronic parking permit (whitelisting) from the unit the spot has been reserved for. The unit whitelists the vehicle’s licence plate number for the period the vehicle is to have access to the spot. It is not enough that the employee has an ordinary UiB parking permit. You must pay as normal to use the reserved parking spots.
Where to find UiB parking space
Dokkeveien 10, roof
Vinjesgt. alongside Sydnesh. school
Villav. 10 (closed untill autunm 2022) - 10 charging spaces
Allgt. 70/Allgt. 60 (currently closed due to work until May-22)
Nina Griegsgt. 2, Nygård School
|Jonas Liesvei 91 BB-building at the driveway in front of the main entrance
|Haukelandsbakken 27, Vivariet
|Haukelandsveien 28, AHH
|Årstadveien 17, Alrek helseklynge
Årstadveien 19, Odontologibygget main entrance, U1, U2
Årstadveien 21, Overlege Danielsssens hus