Publication fund for Open Access at the University of Bergen
Researchers from the University of Bergen can apply for funding to cover Article Processing Charges (APC) to publish Open Access.
UiB has Open Access publishing deals with several publishers. You do not need to apply for funding for articles that are covered by these deals. Read more about the deals, which journals are covered, and which authors are eligible. For more information, please see our tutorial open access - step by step.
The publication fund covers:
1. Open Access articles
- The publication fund may provide funding up to NOK 30 000 + taxes to cover article processing charges (APC) to publish in eligible open access journals. The journal must be registered on level 1 or 2 in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers and in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
- Open Access articles in subscription journals (Hybrid Open Access) are not eligible for funding.
2. Open Access books
- The publication fund may provide funding up to NOK 100 000 + taxes to publish an open access monograph.
- The publication fund may provide funding up to NOK 30 000 + taxes to publish a chapter in an open access anthology. The whole anthology must be published open access. The amount of funding will be based on the total cost of the book and the share of UiB authors.
Applications will be granted based on the complete guidelines.
The main principles for support are:
- The applicant must be the corresponding author of the publication and affiliated to UiB. The affiliation to UiB must be stated in the publication as the author’s institutional address.
- The article/book/chapter must be submitted for publication.
- The article/book/chapter must be a peer reviewed academic publication and count in the Norwegian funding model (for instance editorials, comments, debates, study protocols and case reports does not count).
- The journal/publisher must be registered on level 1 or 2 in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers.
- The article/book/chapter must be published with a Creative Commons-license.
You can apply for funding by using the following application form.
The application will usually be processed within 2 working days. For approved applications the applicant will receive information about payment in the reply.
The University of Bergen has a support membership with BioMed Central. The University pays an annual fee which gives all UoB researchers a 15% discount on the Article Processing Charges (APC) when publishing in BioMed Central (BMC), Chemistry Central or SpringerOpen journals.
When applying to the University’s fund for Open Access publishing the author must ensure that the 15 % discount on APC is included and that this is the amount that is entered in the application form. The discount will be withdrawn from the APC.
The corresponding author must be an employee at the University of Bergen. University employees that send in an article through the UoB network will be recognized by the IP address and will automatically receive the discount. If an employee submits an article outside the University network, the contributor must chose UoB (UiB) from a drop down menu and submit their UoB email address to get the discount.