Publication fund for Open Access at the University of Bergen
Researchers from the University of Bergen can apply for funding to cover Article Processing Charges (APC) to publish Open Access.
The publication fund covers:
1. Open Access articles
- The publication fund may fully cover the article processing charges (APC) to publish in “pure” Open Access journals. The journal must be registered on level 1 or 2 in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers and in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
- The publication fund may also refund 50% of the APC to publish Open Access in subscription journals (Hybrid Open Access). To be eligible the journal must be registered on level 2 in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers.
- Open Access articles in subscription journals (Hybrid Open Access) on level 1 are not supported.
2. Open Access books
- The publication fund may cover author payments to publish Open Access books.
Applications will be granted based on the complete guidelines.
The main principles for support are:
- Only corresponding authors that are affiliated to UoB as employees, PhD candidates or master students can apply for funding.
- The article/book must be submitted for publication.
- The article/book must be a peer reviewed academic publication and count in the Norwegian funding model (for instance editorials, comments, debates, study protocols and case reports does not count).
- The publisher must be registered on level 1 or 2 in the Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers.
- The article/book must be published with a Creative Commons-license.
You can apply for funding for publishing Open Access by using the following application form.
The application will usually be processed within 2 working days. For approved applications the applicant will receive information about payment in the reply.
The University of Bergen has a support membership with BioMed Central. The University pays an annual fee which gives all UoB researchers a 15% discount on the Article Processing Charges (APC) when publishing in BioMed Central (BMC), Chemistry Central or SpringerOpen journals.
When applying to the University’s fund for Open Access publishing the author must ensure that the 15 % discount on APC is included and that this is the amount that is entered in the application form. The discount will be withdrawn from the APC.
The corresponding author must be an employee at the University of Bergen. University employees that send in an article through the UoB network will be recognized by the IP address and will automatically receive the discount. If an employee submits an article outside the University network, the contributor must chose UoB (UiB) from a drop down menu and submit their UoB email address to get the discount.
The University of Bergen currently does not have an agreement with other Open Access publishers (i.e. PLoS, Hindawi).