The Department of Government welcomes you as an exchange student to Bergen. Here you will find more information on what we can offer our incoming students.
Why study Public Administration in Bergen?
- study at a highly specialized department
- high quality courses in English at BA/MA level
- full GlGOV-degree in English
- international staff and student population
- internationally oriented research based teaching
Try the Norwegian way, GlGOV-graduate Iryna recommends.
Courses in English
- AORG107 - EU and International Organisations (15 ECTS)
- AORG108 - Systems of Governance and the Global Challenges of Energy and Climate (15 ECTS)
- AORG109 - Systems of Governance and the Global Challenges of Energy and Climate (10 ECTS)
Please note: 100- and 200-level are bachelor level courses. 300-level is masters level and is open only to graduate/MA students.
Incoming students may combine courses from the whole Faculty of Social Sciences. Click here for an overview.
GlGOV-applicants living abroad: 1 December
GlGOV-applicants living in Norway: 15 April
Spring semester (January to June):1 September - 15 October
Autumn semester (August to December):15 March - 1 May
More information on what to do before arrival
- Apply for exchange / full degree
- Student housing
- Recidence permit
- Students with special needs
As a new student in Bergen you will have many questions. We recommend participating in the Introductory Programme for new international students. You will be invited to attend an information meeting at the faculty and department during the introductory programme.
On the web pages for new students you will find more information on:
- Semester startup help desk
- Semester dates and deadlines
- Arrival and directions
- Faculty inforamtion centres
- Student organizations and campus life
The student pages will help you manage your studies, find public services and discover whats what in the Bergen Student Life.
THE STUDENT INFORMATION CENTRE
The Information Centre at The Faculty of Social Sciences can help you with questions regarding our study programs admission, registration, exams, counselling services, Learning Agreement, Confirmations, etc.
- Opening hours: Monday - Friday: 10.00-15.00
- Address: Lauritz Meltzers Hus (The faculty building), Fosswinckels gate 6, 3rd floor
- Phone: +47 55 58 98 50
- Where can I get my signatures on the Learning agreement and Confirmation of Arrival/Departure?
The Information Centre at The Faculty of Social Sciences can help you with this.
- Can I change courses after arrival?
Yes, the deadline for semester registration is September 1st and February 1st.
- I will arrive after the registration deadline. What to do?
You have to notify the incoming team and SiB housing of your late arrival. Contact the information centre after coming to Bergen.
- What course level should I choose?
100: BA-level. 15 ECTS courses meant to give a broad approach to the topic. Usually not neessary with pre-requirements within the topic. Open to all students.
200: BA-level. 15 or 10 ECTS courses meant to give a more specialized approach to the topic. May be recommended to have som prior knowledge in political science, but not a condition. Open to all students.
300: MA-level. Advanced courses suitable for MA/graduate level students. You need to have a undergraduate degree in political science or equivalent to be accepted.
- I am a third year student, should I take 100-level courses?
100-level does not equal "Introduction to.....". The BA programme students may take 100-level courses in their 1-5 semester. If you have had courses within the same topic before then you should discuss it with your home institution. You can find an overview of the academic system here.
- Two of my exams are on the same day. What to do?
If you choose courses from different departments exam dates and teaching schedules may conflict. You should change one of the courses before the registration deadline.
- I want to stay for another semester. Is it possible?
Yes, you can stay up to 2 semesters as long as this is permitted by your home university. Apply here.
- How do I order a transcript of records?
You can order this on StudentWeb to be sent by post. Remember to change your address if you have returned home.