Appealing exam results
If you receive a grade you do not believe to be correct, you have the right to appeal about it. You can also appeal if you believe formal errors have occurred during the examination.
Appeals for new assessment of grade, right to explanation of given grade and complaints regarding formal errors in connection with examinations are regulated by the Universities and Colleges Act §§ 3-9, 5-2 and 5-3.
RIGHT TO EXPLANATION OF GRADE
- You are entitled to an explanation of the given grade before you send an appeal for new assessment of grade.
- You may ask for an explanation of the given grade orally or in writing, for example by e-mail to the department responsible for the course in question. The deadline for requesting an explanation of grade is one week after the results have been published.
- The explanation of the given grade may be conveyed to you orally or in writing as the examiner see fit, and within two weeks.
APPEAL FOR NEW ASSESSMENT OF GRADE
- The deadline for addressing the appeal is three weeks after the results have been published, or three weeks after you received an explanation of grade.
- If the grade is published in the time period from 15 December – 2 January, the deadline starts running 2 January. If the grade is published in the time period 20 June – start of the autumn semester, the deadline starts running Monday the first week of the semester.
- The new grade may be higher, lower or identical to the initial grade.
- The new grade is final and may not be appealed. You are entitled to an explanation of the new assessment.
- Oral tests may not be appealed.
- Preliminary examinations may only be appealed if the exam has not been passed.
APPEALS REGARDING FORMAL ERRORS
- The deadline for appealing formal errors in connection with examination is three weeks after you should be familiar with the conditions in question.
SUBMITTING THE APPEAL
Appeals for new assessment of grade:
Use the form "Appeal for new assessment of grade", please see link to the form in the right hand meny. The form may be handed in at the Student Information Centre at the faculty or sent by mail within the given deadlines.
University of Bergen
The Faculty of Medicine
Appeals regarding formal errors:
There is no form, but the appeal must be presented in writing. Send your appeal to the above mentioned postal address or hand it in at the Student Information Centre at the faculty within the given deadlines.