About the Faculty
The Faculty of Medicine was initially established in August 1946. In January 2008 it merged with Faculty of Dentistry, and it was called the "Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry" until 1. June 20017, when the name was changed to the Faculty of Medicine.
The two faculties came together as a result of a common wish to make dentistry a more integrated part of the overall concept of health in order to be able to offer a more interdisciplinary approach in education and research. In addition to medicine and dentistry, the faculty offers programs of professional studies in pharmacy, dental hygiene and human nutrition as well as master degrees in health science, biomedicine and global health studies, among others.
The faculty covers a wide range of research fields. It is the host of two Norwegian Centers of Excellence (SFF): Centre of Cancer Biomarkers (CCBIO) and the Centre of Intervention Science in Maternal and Child Health (CISMAC), two K. G. Jebsens Centers on research on auto immune diseases and genom-directed therapy in cancer. The infrastructure of the faculty’s research is organized in a total of eight core facilities.
Faculty of Medicine has a total of about 1150 employees and 1900 students. With the inclusion of it’s more than 500 Ph.D.-candidates the faculty is one of the biggest contributors to the doctoral education at the University of Bergen.
The Faculty changed it's name from The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry to the Faculty of Medicine, June 1st. 2107.