History and location
The Faculty of Humanities is the largest faculty at the University of Bergen, both in terms of student numbers and the number of subjects taught.
The Faculty of Humanities was established in 1948, when the University of Bergen was formally constituted. However, there was already a long tradition of archaeological, folkloristic and linguistic research under the auspices of the Bergen Museum, dating back to the late 1800s. This served as the basis for the new faculty. Since then it has grown to become the largest at UiB, both in terms of students and staff.
The Faculty of Humanities is situated on the hill of Sydneshaugen, in a complex of both modern and historical buildings. Thus, the faculty is located very near the centre of Bergen yet retains a distinctive campus atmosphere. Parks and greenery lend a peaceful backdrop to academic life for students and staff alike.
The faculty has about 3500 students and 450 employees, including 85 research fellows and 15 postdoctoral fellows.
Approximately 415 bachelor and master students graduate every year and between 20 and 25 PhD candidates.
The faculty is divided into four departments and two centers:
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Archaeology, History, Culture studies and Religion
- Department of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic studies
- Centre for Women’s and Gender Research
- Centre for the Study of the Sciences and the Humanities