The HSE-gateway

Hazardous waste

All hazardous waste must be declared. UiB practices a zero discharge to drain. In other words, NO hazardous chemicals or environmentally harmful substances should be flushed into the sink.

Main content

Waste that comes under hazardous waste must be handled in accordance with the Guidelines for the handling and disposal of hazardous waste and problematic waste, radioactive waste and explosive waste and the routines described below.

What is hazardous waste


This applies to most of the chemical waste from the laboratory and clinic environment. Some examples are: Corrosive acids and bazaars, disinfectant liquids, mercury-containing and cyanide-containing waste, heavy metals, organic solvents with and without halogen, reactive substances and cytostatics.

But not explosive and ionizing radiation sources.

Empty chemical bottles of glass shall de disposed off as problematic waste.

Declarationforms, waste number flow chart:

All hazardous waste shall be declared. The university practice a zero-discharge to drain. In other words, NO hazardous chemicals or environmentally harmful substances should be flused down the drain. When discharging chemicals remember to keep the safety data sheets for 10 years (REACH).
See the "Packaging", "Solvent cans", "Declaration" and "Temporary storage/pick up locations" below for more information on how hazardous waste shall be disposed of.

When disposing hazardous waste, the «Declaration form for hazardous waste at UiB» must be filled out. The form is electronic and will automatically be sendt to the person responsible for the disposal room, and the person declaring the waste. Print out the form and attach it to the waste.

Contact Bir: bedrift@bir.no

Here is a flow chart to help classify hazardous waste. The flowchart contains the most common waste material numbers for use in the laboratory, but you can find a complete overview in the link above.

flow chart


It is advisable that all hazardous waste will be disposed in their original packaging containing a minimal mix of chemicals or hazardous waste. If this is not possible one must make sure to use suitable and compatible packaging that satisfies the requirements regarding storage of the individual waste.

Remember: It is very important that the packaging is labeled correctly with name and concentration.

Labeled original packaging or other labeled appropriate container containing hazardous waste is to be put in red, plastic containers covered with lids. The red, plastic containers for this purpose can be found in the temporary waste disposal storage rooms for hazardous waste and problematic waste.

For accumulation of solvents, see "Solvent cans".

Solvent cans

Applied solvents are to be accumulated in plastic cans. The cans should never be filled up more than ¾.  There are two different colors on the cans, depending on the solvent:

  • BLUE cans: For halogenated solvents, which is solvents containing fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I) and Astatine (At).
  • WHITE cans: For solvents that do not contain halogen.

If you need to order BIR to collect the cans, be sure to inform BIR of volume and if the solvents are halgenated or not. This information is importent due to the secure transportation of the waste.

There is a big difference in cost for disposal of solvents with or without halogen - so do not mix them.

Mix nor pure solvents with other substances, such as, for example, acids and bases. Such mixtures give higher prices.

Pure chemicals are low priced.

Waste room and people responsible for the room:

The red, plastic containers are to be placed in specific spots for hazardous waste in the temporary waste disposal storage room for hazardous waste and problematic waste. Do not leave containers of hazardous waste or problematic waste on the floor!

Pick up locations for hazardous waste and problematic waste:

If there is a lot of hazardous waste in the storage room please inform the waste contact person at your department/unit.


Other hazardous waste:


It is prohibited to manufacture, import, export, sell and use substances or preparations that contain mercury or mercury compounds. The ban also includes substances and mixtures for analysis and research purposes. For further information see the rule Produktforskriften


All type of batteries, except for small batteries, are considered hazardous. UiB have a special disposal scheme for small batteries, see the consumer waste page for more information on how to dispose of small batteries.

Oil Waste

There are several types, as for example oil, oil emulsions, crude oil etc.


Pesticides are substances or preparations which can be used to protect against damage or prevent attacks on living plants, plant parts, seeds and timber.


Paint and varnish residues - including spray cans, as well as adhesives and printing inks.

Photo chemicals

Photo chemicals may comprise photographic developer, bleach bath, fixation bath, stabilizers containing silver etc.


Usefull information