Information for new students
On this page you will find important information for new students at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Welcome to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences! On this website you will find useful information specific to students at this faculty. Please refer to the Checklist for new international students for an overview of the steps you need to go through as a new student.
Departments and courses
|Department||Location (Number on Campus Map) / Contact||Courses|
|Department of Biology||Thormøhlens gate 53 a and b (3) / firstname.lastname@example.org||BIO-courses|
|Department of Molecular biology||Bergen High Technology Centre (1) / email@example.com||MOL-courses|
|Department of Informatics||Bergen High Technology Centre (1) / firstname.lastname@example.org||INF-courses|
|Department of Earth Sciences||Science Building (8) / email@example.com||GEOV-courses|
|Department of Chemistry||Science Building (8) / firstname.lastname@example.org||KJEM-courses|
|Department of Mathematics||Science Building (8) / email@example.com||MAT/STAT-courses|
|Department of Physics and Technology||Bjørn Trumpy’s house (6) / firstname.lastname@example.org (physics) / email@example.com (PTEK)||PHYS/PTEK-courses|
|Geophysical Institute||Allégaten 70 (5) / firstname.lastname@example.org||GEOF-courses|
Information about courses (for exchange students)
There are three main types of courses at the faculty:
- Open courses: Courses that don't have any formal requirements and don't have limited capacity due to lab or field trips. You can register for these courses yourself on Studentweb. Please note that although these courses don't have lab or field trips they can occationally fill up.
- Courses with limited capacity: The deadline for class registration is August 17th and you will receive an email on Monday the 21th whether or not you have been admitted to the course. If you are admitted to the course you can go on to Studentweb and register for the exam.
- Courses with formal requirements: Advanced courses that require prevous knowledge of the subject area. If you want to register for one of these courses you will need to provide documentation that you fulfill the requirements. You should contact the department that owns the course if you want to do one of these courses and it has not been pre-approved.
You are guaranteed admission to the courses on your letter of acceptance. You are not guaranteed admission to any other courses. We do recommend that you stick to the courses on your admission letter as much as possible.
If you need to make changes due to exam or schedule conflicts you should check the following before registering for a new course:
- Course shedule
- Teaching language
- Formal requirements
- Exam date (wirtten exams) (if the course has an oral exam it will not be published online, it will be announced by the lecturer or published on MittUiB).
If you have questions about courses or course registration please come and see us at the faculty information stand on Friday 11th of August in the Science Building.
Exam information can be found on the course website for each course.
For more information about exam regulations see our faculty website. Here you can also find information about which calculator type is approved for the exams that allow a calculator.
Digital assessment: Many courses have digital assessment and you will be required to bring your own computer. If you don't have a suitable computer you can apply to borrow one from the university. Read more about digital assessment here.
Friday August 11th 2017 - Faculty meeting and information stand
10.15 am - Faculty information meeeting and stands with representatives from the departments - Science building
Here you can ask questions about courses and course registration.
All students at the University of Bergen must be familiar with referencing and citation. It is therefore very important that you attend the library course at the start of the semester. There are two options for taking the library course in the autumn semester 2017.
Venue: The AV room in the Science Library, number 7 on the Campus Map
Date and time:
- Monday 4th of September 1.15 pm - 3 pm
- Wednesday 6th of September 12.15 pm - 2 pm
Registration deadline for both dates is Wednesday the 28th of August.