Library services for students at the Faculty of Medicine
As a student, you are encountering large amounts of information from a variety of sources. You have to find what is relevant to you and assess the quality of information. If you use that information in an assignment or thesis, you have to cite your source correctly and fulfill the requirements of an academic text.
Below is an overview of the University Library's resources. You can find a lot of useful information online, but you can also get help and guidance at the library.
Find curriculum literature
Many courses at the University of Bergen offer an online reading list at Mitt UiB.
In the library's search engine Oria you can find among others books, journals, music, films that are available at UiB. Use Oria to find a specific book or article and literature on a topic.
Help with your thesis
When writing an academic text, you ought to work in a structured manner.
This includes that you
- know what you want to write about
- search for literature in a structured way
- evaluate if what you found is relevant
- assess the source's quality
- keep track of your references
- cite all the sources in your thesis correctly
- structure yout text clearly
- use academic language common in your field
The online guide Search and Write contains advice on how to
- search for relevant literature, e.g. searching techniques
- read literature efficiently and identify the main points
- assess the quality and relevance of sources
- cite other's text and images correctly
If you have questions regarding literature search and referencing, you can ask for help at the Medical Library.
The library offers courses in literature search, citing and reference management which are incorporated into your curriculum. The courses are meant to help you in the process of writing your thesis.
Ask your instructors to contact the library if there are library courses missing in your curriculum.
Having problems downloading or installing UiB software?
Do you require assistance for UiB's digital systems or help to connect to the UiB network or printers? Are there problems with the printers?
You can find useful IT-guides on the web page IT for students.