This library subject guide is tailored resources within geography
These are considered to be the most central journals within geography in Norway (Source: DBH)
Articles from academic journals gives you the research front and more in-depth discussion within different topis. There are hundreds of different journals within geography- with various focus and quality.
Where to search for academic articles
- Oria is all the library in one search, and let you search both the physical catalogue and multiple databases at the same time.
- Geobase - international research literature within geoscience. Index of 2100 journals.
- Web of Science - Comprehensive article index from 1945 and onward.
- Google Scholar - Free search engine limited to academic materials.
In doubt where or how to conduct a search? Ask you subject librarian for recommendations.
Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- The International Encyclopedia of Geography - concepts, research, and techniques in geography and interrelated fields
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography - broad interdisciplinary coverage
- Palgrave dictionary of emerging markets and transition economics - thematic dictionary
- International encyclopedia of social and behavioral sciences (Elsevier) General social science encyclopedia
- The Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy More than 300 articles on topics in international trade, finance, production, and economic development.
Books on geography
Using Oria, you will find the tab "Get it" where status and location is given for the document. The book collection is organised by the Dewey classification system, where economics is divided into the following main categories:
Contact the library desk if you have any issues locating a document
Handbooks are thematic collections of articles with thorough introductions to topics and a critical survey of the current state of scholarship by leading scholars.
- Statistics Norway
- Statistics Denmark
- Statistics Sweden
- Eurostat - Statistics from the European union member states and economic partners
- OECD iLibrary - books, papers and statistics from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- World Bank - publications and data on countries and regions
- International Monetary Fund - publications and data on countries and regions
Master thesis from department of geography
Approved master thesis are in most cases available in BORA - Bergen Open Research Archive
How to start searching for information
Academic information retrieval is a process that should involve some planning. Learn more at Search and write (sokogskriv.no) on
- Getting an overview
- Plan your searches
- In-depth searing
- Systematic searching
Useful resources on academic writing
- Search and write - covers all aspects of the process: searching, reading, writing and referencing sources
- The Citation compass - how to reference and evaluate sources
You have several books on academic writing available in the library. See shelf signature 808.066 for titles like How to write your master's thesis or How to write and publish a scientific paper.
The library offers both general and tailored courses to students and staff. Contact subject librarian (below) for more information.
Book a librarian
At the library desk you can get help and guidance in searching our catalogs and databases, or to find your way around the physical collections.
Students and employees at the University of Bergen can also book a librarian, who can help with information searching and how to locate relevant literature.
Endnote is a reference manager tool that lets you collect, organise and manage different sources through the research process. Endnote is available for download on pc, mac and ipad. An online solution is also available. Get Endnote