Across the different core programs, several areas of research and specific projects have been initiated at CCBIO, focusing on mechanisms of tumor-microenvironment interactions and tumor progress, discovery and validation of tumor biomarkers, and clinical studies.
CCBIO has 4 research teams and programs:
Team 1: Mechanisms of Tumor-Microenvironment Interactions
- CCBIO PI Donald Gullberg PubMed publications
- CCBIO PI Karl H. Kalland PubMed publications
- CCBIO PI Emmet McCormack PubMed publications
The aim of this program is to examine how tumor cells interact with the surrounding and supporting microenvironment with different cell types such as fibroblasts, immune cells, vascular cells and stem cells embedded in the complex extracellular matrix. This team consists of the Principal Investigators McCormack, Kalland and Gullberg (photo) and their groups.
Team 2: Discovery of Cancer Biomarkers
- CCBIO PI and Director Lars A. Akslen PubMed publications
- CCBIO PI James B. Lorens PubMed publications
- CCBIO Associate Investigator Camilla Krakstad PubMed publications
- CCBIO Associate Investigator Daniela Elena Costea PubMed publications
- CCBIO Associate Investigator Elisabeth Wik PubMed publications
The aim of this program is to explore and validate different classes of biomarkers in tissue samples from human patient cohorts and clinical trials material. Currently, the investigators take advantage of the recently established technology of IMC (imaging mass cytometry) by which panels of multiple biomarkers are simultaneously linked to specific tissue compartments in parallel with functional interrogation. The studies also map associations with clinico-pathologic phenotypes as well as prognostic and potentially predictive properties. This team consists of the Principal Investigators Akslen (CCBIO director) and Lorens and their groups, and the Associate Investigators Costea, Krakstad, and Wik (Lorens not present in the photo).
Team 3: Clinical Applications and Trial Studies
- CCBIO PI and Co-Director Bjørn T. Gjertsen PubMed publications
- CCBIO PI Oddbjørn Straume PubMed publications
- CCBIO PI Line Bjørge PubMed publications
The aim of this program is to perform clinical trials with associated biomarker studies, and to promote novel findings on markers and treatment targets for clinical implementation and change of practice. This team consists of the Principal Investigators Straume, Gjertsen (CCBIO co-director) and Associate Investigator Bjørge.
Team 4: Health Ethics, Prioritization and Economics
- CCBIO PI Roger Strand (ethics) PubMed publications
- CCBIO Associate Investigator John Cairns (health economics)
- CCBIO Associate Investigator Ole Frithjof Norheim (prioritization)
The aim of this program is to perform studies on the ethics, economics and priority challenges of the biomarker field, to contribute towards improved education of CCBIO scientists in this dimension of their work, and to ultimately influence public debate and policy making in the expanding area of biomarkers and targeted therapy. This team consists of Principal Investigator Strand, as well as Associate Investigators Norheim and Cairns.
In addition, Bioinformatics is an important intersecting research area at CCBIO:
- CCBIO Associate Investigator Inge Jonassen (bioinformatics) PubMed publications