Overview of the printed and electronic resources in mathematics and statistics.
The Mathematics and Natural Sciences Library offers a variety of printed and electronic books, journals, thesis, encyclopedias and databases in mathematics and statistics. Use the blue search box above to search our literature (guidance here), and see below for direct links to article databases and reference works.
We are happy to help with areas such as as literature search, citation techniques, reference management, open access and publishing. If you are teaching, you can also book us to give a short course for your students. See "Library services" below.
New titles in Mathematics
As well as providing literature, we are available for questions or one-to-one guidance for students/employees - don't hesitate to contact us! One-to-one guidance can be particularly helpful when starting on a new assignment or research project. You can book time with a subject librarian, or you can send us an email. We can help with:
- Finding literature: How to get an overview of your topic, exhaustive and precise literature search, which platforms and databases are relevant and how to use them
- Using literature: Keeping your literature organised, using reference management software, how to cite various sources
- Publishing and impact: Open Access publishing, the OA publication fund, Cristin (the national system for registration of research and documentation), BORA, researcher profile and impact
- Intellectual property rights: Publication, use of another's intellectual work
- Bibliometry: Analyzing the literature by bibliometric methods
The university library also offers:
Teaching support: You can book a tailored, short course for your students from us, or we can run help-desks related to specific assignments.
Research support: Courses and workshops tailored for researchers are available, in connection with BOA. e.g. "Open data and research data management", "How to increase your visibility and impact", and "Literature searching for systematic review"
Find the right shelf
Print books physically available at the library are marked UBBRB. They are ordered by topic on the shelves using the Dewey Decimal Classification (the numerical code after "UBBRB").
For ebooks, check here how to access and use e-books, or ask at our desk.
For books which are already on loan, choose 'reserve', or browse for alternatives using the Virtual Shelf at the bottom of the page for your chosen book. For browsing our physical shelves, ask staff to help you find the shelves most relevant.
If you can't find an item at the University of Bergen Library, try searching in all Norwegian Academic Libraries via the dropdown menu in the search bar. Many items can be ordered, and sent to our library for you (free of charge). If you can't find the book you need anywhere in Oria, send us an email, or request via Oria (using "Order" in the main menu).
Books in mathematics are listed with numbers that start with 51. Click the links below to search whole categories in Oria. Some of the most important sub classes are also listed below.
510 General mathematics
511 General principles of mathematics
- 512.02 Abstract Algebra
- 512.2 Groups and group theory
- 512.3 Fields
- 512.4 Rings
- 512.5 Linear algebra
- 512.6 Category theory, homological algebra, K-theory
- 512.7 Number theory
- 515.2 General aspects of analysis
- 515.3 Differential calculus and equations: 515.35 Differential equations ( 515.352 Ordinary | 515.353 Partial)
- 515.4 Integral calculus and equations
- 515.6 Other analytic methods: 515.62 Calculus of finite differences; 515.63 Vector, tensor and spinor analysis; 515.64 Calculus of variations
- 515.7 Functional analysis
- 515.9 Functions of complex variables
518 Numerical analysis
Many books have chapters on numerical analysis related to the main theme of the book. If, for example, a book is mainly about differential equations, with perhaps a chapter about numerical solutions, it will be found under differential equations (515.35) - if it's primarily about numerical solution of differential equations it will be found under 518.63 (ODEs) or 518.64 (PDEs).
- 518.0285 Programs for numerical analysis (Matlab, Octave, etc) and programming (Numerical Recipes, GSL).
- 518.2 Specific methods, e.g. 518.25 finite elements, 518.282 Monte Carlo.
- 518.43 Numerical linear algebra
- 518.6 Numerical methods in analysis
519 Probabilities and applied mathematics
- 519.2 Probabilities
- 519.3 Game theory
- 519.5 Statistical matematics
- 519.6 Matematical optimization
- 519.7 Programing (in the sense of optimization
Scientific papers appear alongside books, reports etc. in Oria. By default, Oria lists only documents you have online or physical access to. Search in all "Norwegian academic libraries" to also include references outside of our immediate access. You can order copies of articles we do not have access to from other libraries via Oria - this service is free of charge.
The subject specific databases listed below offer advanced search functionality lacking from Oria and Google Scholar. While some are free, the links below ensure access or extra services to UiB users.
If you are off campus and click the following links, you will first be directed to a log on screen for the UiB proxy server, to get access even though you're outside the UiB network.
- Zentralblatt MATH
- MathNetBase (E-books by CRC)
- Wolfram: MathWorld & Functions
- Web of Science
We aim to have all curriculum books for courses in mathematrics and statistics at the library. Physical books can be found in the curriculum collection (shelf marked "Pensum") and can be used within the library; in some cases there may also be extra copies or older editions in the main collection for loan. For some courses, literature is available electronically. The links below lead to the library's search engine, Oria. You can access the text by clicking on the link after "Full text available at".
MAT111 Calculus I
MAT211 Real Analysis
MAT214 Complex Analysis
MAT215 Theory of Measure and Integration
- B. Makarov. Real Analysis: Measures, Integrals and Applications
- R. Bartle. The elements of integration and Lebesgue measure
MAT224 Commutative Algebra
- M. F. Atiyah, I G Macdonald. Introduction To Commutative Algebra
- D. A. Cox, J. Little, D. O'Shea. Ideals, varieties and algorithms
MAT229 Algebraic Geometry I
- I. R. Shafarevich. Basic Algebraic Geometry 1 : Varieties in Projective Space
MAT230 Nonlinear Differential Equations
MAT232 Functional Analysis
MAT234 Partial Differential Equations
- A.Tveito og R. Winther. Introduction to partial differential equations: a computational approach
- S. Salsa. Partial Differential Equations in Action: From modeling to theory
MAT235 Vector and Tensor Analysis
- A. Lichnerowicz, J. W. Leech, D.J. Newman. Elements of tensor calculus
- E. de Souza Sánchez Filho. Tensor calculus for Engineers and Physicists
MAT244 Algebraic Topology
MAT252 Continuum Mechanics
- E. B. Tadmor. Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics: From Fundamental Concepts to Governing Equations
- J. Lubliner. Introduction to Solid Mechanics: An Integrated Approach
- P. K. Kundu. Fluid Mechanics (4. edition)
MAT254 Flow in Porous Media
- J. Nordbotten, M A Celia. Geological Storage of CO2: Modeling Approaches for Large -Scale Simulation
MAT260 Scientific Computing 2
- A. Quarteroni, R. Sacco, F. Saleri. Numerical mathematics
- A. Quarteroni, P. Gervasio, F. Saleri. Scientific Computing with MATLAB and Octave
- A. Bermudez de Castro, D. Gómez, P. Quintela og P. Salgado. Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications: proceedings of ENUMATH 2005, the 6th European Conference On Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications Santiago de Compostela, Spain, July 2005
MAT322 Algebraic Geometry II
MAT325 Algebraic Structures
MAT330 Topics in Applied and Computational Mathematics *
- G. Evensen. Data assimilation : the ensemble Kalman filter
- P. Knabner. Numerical methods for elliptic and parabolic partial differential eqations
MAT331 Topics in Analysis
MAT360 Finite Element Methods and Domain Decomposition
- D. Boffi, F. Brezzi, M. Fortin. Mixed finite element methods and applications
MAT602 Mathematics for teachers, grade 8-11, level 1B
- M. Nosrati og K. Wæge. Sentrale kjennetegn på god læring og undervisning i matematikk
- T. E. Kristensen. GeoGebra 5.0 for videregående skole
MAT611 Discrete Mathematics, the history of mathematics and digital learning resources
MAT612 Selected topics in mathematics, the history of mathematics and digital learning resources
STAT110 Basic Course in Statistics
STAT111 Statistical Methods
STAT200 Applied Statistics
- P. Dalgaard. Introductory statistics with R
- G. Smith et al. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R
- B. Shahbaba. Biostatistics with R
- N. H. Bingham, J M Fry. Regression Linear Models in Statistics
- L. Fahrmeir et al. Regression : Models, Methods and Applications
- J. L. Devore, K N Berk. Modern Mathematical Statistics with Applications
STAT201 Generalised Linear Models
- L. Fahrmeir et al. Regression : Models, Methods and Applications
- A. J. Dobson, A G Barnett. An Introduction to Generalized Linear Models
- R. S. McCrea, B. J. T. Morgan. Analysis of capture-recapture data
- S. T. Buckland. Distance sampling: methods and applications
- N. M. Laird, C Lange. The Fundamentals of Modern Statistical Genetics
- C. Ritz, J. C. Streibig. Nonlinear Regression with R
STAT211 Time Series
STAT220 Stochastic Processes
STAT230 Life Insurance Mathematics
- R. Nordberg. Basic Life Insurance Mathematics
- R. Nordberg. Exercises in Life Insurance Mathematics
- R. Korn, E. Korn, G. Kroisandt. Monte Carlo Methods and Models in Finance and Insurance
- M. Koller. Life insurance risk management essentials
STAT231 Non-Life Insurance Mathematics
STAT240 Theory of Finance
The University Library offers courses and support for referense management tools such as EndNote (access software and guide here), Mendeley, and Zotero. Ask us or check for courses on the Library Homepage calendar and remember to sign up!
We don't longer offer courses for neither BibTeX nor BibLaTeX, but the University of Oslo has an online BibLaTeX-guide that can be very useful. Just check it out!