ETECvac: Development of a vaccine for enterotoxigenic E. coli based on the heat-stable toxin
Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC) expressing the heat-stable toxin (ST) is among the most important causes of diarrheal disease in children less than 5 years of age in low- and middle-income countries. Diarrhea causes ill health and malnutrition, and is the second most common cause of death among children. Currently available prototype ETEC vaccines target colonization factors and the heat-labile toxin, but not ST. They have so far failed to confer adequate protection, and development of an ST-based vaccine has a high priority.
The ETECvac project is based on a unique and comprehensive ST mutational library, established at the University of Bergen (UiB) and Uni Research, which allows an unprecedented detailed study of the toxin's properties. The main aims of the ETECvac project are to design safe and protective ST vaccine candidates, and to establish the first human challenge model for estimating the protective efficacy of an ST vaccine.
The research will be conducted at UiB and Uni Research, in close collaboration with partners at Institut Pasteur, Paris, France, and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- 2018. Mutational analysis of the pro-peptide of a marine intracellular subtilisin protease supports its role in inhibition. Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics. 1-13. doi: 10.1002/prot.25528
- 2018. Independent losses of a xenobiotic receptor across teleost evolution. Scientific Reports. 8: 1-13. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-28498-4
- 2018. Purification and characterization of native and vaccine candidate mutant enterotoxigenic escherichia coli heat-stable toxins. Toxins. 10:274: 1-15. doi: 10.3390/toxins10070274
- 2018. Development of an enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli vaccine based on the heat-stable toxin. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 11 pages. doi: 10.1080/21645515.2018.1496768
- 2017. SBMLmod: a Python-based web application and web service for efficient data integration and model simulation. BMC Bioinformatics. 18: 1-8. doi: 10.1186/s12859-017-1722-9
- 2016. A rapid solubility-optimized screening procedure for recombinant subtilisins in E. coli. Journal of Biotechnology. 222: 38-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiotec.2016.02.009
- 2016. Towards rational design of a toxoid vaccine against the heatstable toxin of Escherichia coli. Infection and Immunity. 84: 1239-1249. doi: 10.1128/IAI.01225-15
- 2014. Characterization of immunological cross-reactivity between enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli heat-stable toxin and human guanylin and uroguanylin. Infection and Immunity. 82: 2913-2922. doi: 10.1128/IAI.01749-14
- 2013. Model of tryptophan metabolism, readily scalable using tissue-specific gene expression data. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 288: 34555-34566. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M113.474908
- 2013. Pipelined data-flow delegated orchestration for data-intensive eScience workflows. International Journal of Web Information Systems. 9: 204-218. doi: 10.1108/IJWIS-05-2013-0012