Rolf Bjerkvig (f. 1953) is Professor for cell biology and has since the ealy 80s worked in experimental cancer biology.
Bjerkvig is Director of the Kristian Gerhard Jebsen Brain Tumor Research Center, located at the Department of Biomedicine. He is director of the Oncology Department at the Luxembourg Institute of Health, and has established the NORLUX Neuro-Oncology network.
Dr Bjerkvig receives major grants from the Norwegian Research Council, The Norwegian Cancer Society and the European Commission. He is on the editorial board on several international journals and is sitting in several national as well as international funding committees for cancer research in Europe. He has published more than 200 articles in scientific literature and has received a number of research prizes for his work. In 2015, Bjerkvig was awarded the King Olav V Research Prize in Cancer Research.
- 2019. Deciphering the complex role of thrombospondin-1 in glioblastoma development. Nature Communications. 10:1146: 1-15. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-08480-y
- 2019. Deep sequencing of a recurrent oligodendroglioma and the derived xenografts reveals new insights into the evolution of human oligodendroglioma and candidate driver genes. OncoTarget. 10: 3641-3653. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.26950
- 2019. Targeting APLN/APLNR improves antiangiogenic efficiency and blunts proinvasive side effects of VEGFA/VEGFR2 blockade in glioblastoma. Cancer Research. 79: 2298-2313. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-18-0881
- 2019. Inhibition of mitochondrial respiration prevents BRAF-mutant melanoma brain metastasis. Acta neuropathologica communications. 7:55: 1-19. doi: 10.1186/s40478-019-0712-8
- 2019. Iterative Methods for Fast Reconstruction of Undersampled Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI Data. International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering Proceedings. 68: 267-271. doi: 10.1007/978-981-10-9035-6_48
- 2018. DNA methylation-based classification of central nervous system tumours. Nature. 555: 469-474. doi: 10.1038/nature26000
- 2018. Six-Transmembrane Epithelial Antigen of Prostate 3 Predicts Poor Prognosis and Promotes Glioblastoma Growth and Invasion. Neoplasia. 20: 543-554. doi: 10.1016/j.neo.2018.04.002
- 2018. Thioridazine inhibits autophagy and sensitizes glioblastoma cells to temozolomide. International Journal of Cancer. 144: 1735-1745. Published 2018-10-05. doi: 10.1002/ijc.31912
- 2018. Inhibition of glioma growth by flavokawain B is mediated through endoplasmic reticulum stress induced autophagy. Autophagy. 14: 2007-2022. doi: 10.1080/15548627.2018.1501133
- 2018. Matrine induces senescence of human glioblastoma cells through suppression of the IGF1/PI3K/AKT/p27 signaling pathway. Cancer Medicine. 7: 4729-4748. doi: 10.1002/cam4.1720
1987: Dr. philos. The Gade Institute of Pathology, University of Bergen
1981: M.Sc. Immunology, University of San Francisco, 1981.