CIH PhD Theses
Below are listed graduated PhD candidates at CIH and those with an affiliation to CIH.
For more information about: current CIH PhD candidates
- Marianne Lønnebotn Parental body size and offspring lung health: preparing for parenthood already in childhood?
- Usha Dhingra Chlorhexidine cleansing of the umbilical cord stump and risk of omphalitis and neonatal death
- Alemselam Zebdewos Orsango* Childhood undernutrition and the potential of amaranth for reducing anaemia in southern Ethiopia
- Debritu Nane Satato* Development of local-ingredients-based supplementary food and evaluation of its comparability to standard corn-soy blend plus in treating moderate acute malnutrition among children aged 6 to 59 months in Wolaita, Southern Ethiopia
- Synnøve Næss Maternal and infant iodine nutrition and thyroid function
- Mehretu Belayneh Dinage* Child and maternal malnutrition: A cohort study from a drought-prone area in southern Ethiopia
- Hiwot Hailu Amare* Some major school health problems in southern Ethiopia: Malnutrition, parasite infections, and skin problems
- Hiwot Abera Areru* Primary health care delivery in a Sidama community undergoing demographic transition
*Joint degree, University of Bergen and Hawassa University, Ethiopia
**Joint degree, University of Bergen and Makerere University, Uganda
- Melissa Davidsen Jørstad Diagnosis and management of extrapulmonary tuberculosis in low-resource settings, a study from Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Lungowe Sitali Malaria species and Antimalarial Resistance Markers in Zambia
- Moges Tadesse Borde* Maternal and neonatal health in southern Ethiopia: A cohort study on the incidence of illnesses and utilisation of healthcare services
- Solomon Hailemariam Tesfaye* Improving management of severe childhood pneumonia at primary health care units in southern Ethiopia
- Linda Chokotho Quality of life, functional status and cost-effectiveness of treatment after femoral shaft fractures in Malawi. A comparison of skeletal traction and intramedullary nailing in a low resource setting
- Marie Johanne Waatevik Exercise capacity and disease prognosis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Susanna Myrnerts Höök Supporting neonatal resuscitation in low-resource settings - Innovations and new strategies
- Binyam Bogale Bungudo Digital Targeted Client Communication for Effective Coverage of Antenatal Care
- Marte E. S. Haaland Beyond the Law - An Ethnography of Zambian Abortion Politics
- Agnes Kasede Napyo** Universal antiretroviral therapy for the elimination of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Northern Uganda
- Ida Marie Hoel Challenges in diagnosis and treatment of extrapulmonary tuberculosis
- Carlos Gomes Varela Unmet Surgical Need in Malawi
- Hans-Jörg Lang Treatment of the critically ill child in low-resource settings: Essential paediatric emergency and critical care
- Thandile Nkosi-Gondwe Severe Anemia in Malawian Children: Risk Factors, Mortality and Malaria Chemoprevention
*Joint degree, University of Bergen and Hawassa University, Ethiopia
**Joint degree, University of Bergen and Makerere University, Uganda
2020 - 2010
- Justin Bruno Tongun Breastfeeding practices and health facility births in South Sudan
- Luckson Wandani Dullie Quality of primary care from the patient perspective in South West Malawi
- David Mukunya Newborn Care Practices in Northern Uganda
- Alice Nandawula Mugisha Designing usable mobile forms for collection of health data in Uganda
- Nicolas J Pejovic No cry at birth
- Wakisa Mulwafu Integration of ear and hearing care into primary health care in Malawi with special reference to task-sharing
- Anselme Simeon Sanou Child development in rural Burkina Faso: Association between maternal alcohol consumption, stunting, schooling, and neuropsychological outcomes
- Anneli Eriksson Estimating needs in disasters
- Ranadip Chowdhury Vitamin D status and child health, growth, and neurodevelopment
- Andrea Melberg Global policies and the provision of birth care in Burkina Faso
- Hamidah Hussain Tuberculosis care: Cost-effectiveness of a public-private partnership model in Pakistan
- Tarekegn Solomon Shanka Bed nets for malaria prevention under field conditions in Ethiopia: Durability, use, and impact on spatial variation of malaria
- Julia Regina Brandenberger Asylum-seeking children at a Swiss tertiary hospital
- Appolinaire Tiam Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV-1 in Lesotho
- Temsunaro Rongsen-Chandola Rotavirus Vaccines in India
- Eric Nagaonlè Somè Breastfeeding patterns and mothers' health in an HIV context in Sub Saharan Africa
- Endrias Markos Woldesemayat The burden of smear-positive tuberculosis in South Ethiopia: Risk factor and importance of follow-up of people with the risk factors
- Anthony Waruru Mapping HIV in Kenya: Geospatial variability of HIV diagnoses, treatment, and impact – Implications for HIV epidemic control
- Israel Paul Nyarubeli What do workers know and practise? Occupational noise exposure and noise-induced hearing loss among Tanzanian iron and steel workers
- Mahima Venkateswaran Attributes and consequences of health information systems data for antenatal care: health status, health systems performance and policy
- Akeza Awealom Asgedom Wood-dust exposure and respiratory health among particleboard workers in Ethiopia
- Jobiba Chinkhumba Economic evaluation of Results based financing in Malawi-strengthening the evidence based for alternative maternal and perinatal healthcare funding
- Taye Gari Ayana Malaria, anaemia and undernutrition in a drought-affected area of the Rift Valley of Ethiopia: Experiences from a trial to prevent malaria
- Peter John Binyaruka Distributional effects of payment for performance in the health sector: Examining effects on structural quality, performance outcomes and service utilization in Tanzania
- Alemayehu Hailu Economic evaluation of malaria prevention in Ethiopia: Economic burden, equity, and cost-effectiveness analysis of malaria prevention in south-central Ethiopia
- Angela Akol Access to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services in Uganda: Investigating the Role of Primary Health Care and Traditional Healers
- Shallo Daba Hamusse
Tuberculosis Control in Arsi in Ethiopia: Programme Performance and Disease Burden
Hiba Mohamed Hassan Mohamedali
Oral Health in Sudanese Children with Congenital Heart Defects
- Fekadu Massebo
Malaria vectors in southern Ethiopia. Some challenges and opportunities for vector control
- Peter Hangoma
Social Protection, Health Risk and Household Welfare in Zambia
- Amare Workyie Nigatu
Respiratory health and acute pesticide intoxications among workers in the flower farm industry in Ethiopia
- Barbara Kirunda
Body weight and physical activity of adults in rural Uganda
- Leila Katirayi
Experiences of the Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV program in Southern Africa: A three country qualitative study
- "Growth of HIV-exposed and HIV–unexposed children in South Africa: Anthropometric nutritional status and growth rates"
- Catherine Schwinger
- “Growth velocity of young children in two low-resource settings: Patterns and abilities to predict negative health outcomes”
- Inger Aakre
- "Excessive iodine status among refugee women and children from Western Sahara. -Possible impact on thyroid function and developmental status"
- Simon Peter Sebina Kibira
- "Male circumcision, sexual risk behavior and HIV infection in Uganda"
- Amin Al-Ashtal
On dental erosion among Yemeni children, adolescents, dentists and dental students: Prevalence, scoring system, risk indicators and awareness
- Sushma Bartaula-Brevik
Vascularization and Host Response in Bone Tissue Engineering
- Frida Ngalesoni
Forebygging av kroniske sykdommer i Tanzania: Kostnadseffektivitet og fordelingseffekter av primærforebygging av hjerte- og karsykdommer i Tanzania
- Nancy Birungi
Early life course factors, early childhood caries and oral health related quality of life among five-year-olds – a prospective and intergenerational study from eastern Uganda
- Mbazi Senkoro
Burden of pulmonary tuberculosis and its major determinants: A national prevalence survey in Tanzania
- Richard Banda
Measuring maternal mortality in a context of deficient vital registration systems: use of population census in Zambia
- Sheila Monde Mwangala
Quality of HIV testing services in Zambia in the era of rapid task-shifting: a mixed method investigation on test accuracy and experiences of providers
- Seifu Hagos Gebryesus
Spatial variations in child undernutrition in Ethiopia: Implications for intervention strategies
- Mesay Hailu Dangisso
Tuberculosis control in Sidama in Ethiopia. Programme performance and spatial epidemiology
- Andrew Kilale
Mycobacteria in northern Tanzania: Exposure and risk of disease among agropastoralists and programmatic challenges in investigation of re-treatment cases
- Phyllis Awor
Drug shops in integrated community case management of malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea in Uganda. Appropriateness of care and adherence to treatment guidelines
- Sudha Basnet
Severe pneumonia in hospitalized young Nepalese children-Studies on the efficacy of oral zinc, respiratory viruses and prognostic determinants
- Abebe Animut Ayele
Anopheles species and malaria transmission risk in a highland area, south-central Ethiopia
- Hallgeir Kismul
Determinants of child malnutrition. Studies from a rural area in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Selia Nganjo
Maternal health care services in Zambia – access barriers to facility childbirth and unmet obstetric need
- Amani Thomas Mori
Pharmacoeconomics and formulary decisionmaking in Tanzania: Generating evidence for antimalarial drugs
- George Mugambage Ruhago
Economic evaluation and equity impact analysis of interventions for maternal and child health in Tanzania: Evidence for fair and efficient priority setting
- Razia Kaniz Fatima
Assessing the burden of missing tuberculosis cases in Pakistan
- Arne Taxt
Characterisation of toxic, antigenic and cross-reactive determinants of the heat-stable toxin of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Towards rational design of a toxoid vaccine
- Bodil Bø Våga
Scrutinizing care in nursing practice. An ethnographic study of nurse-mother interaction in programmes to prevent HIV transmission from mother to child in Tanzania
- Elizabeth Shayo
Stakeholder engagement in health-related decision making in Mbarali District, Tanzania
- Balla, Yaliso Yaya
Maternal and neonatal mortality in rural south Ethiopia: Comparing mortality measurements and assessing obstetric care
- Okware, Samuel Ikwaras (Dr. Philos)
Three ebola outbreaks in Uganda 2000-2011
- Babirye, Juliet
"Childhood immunisation in Uganda: timeliness, supportive structures and health system barriers"
- Osman, Tarig
“Cancer stem cell-related markers in normal and neoplastic oral mucosa; a study on human samples and experimental models”
- El Tayeb, Sally
“Injuries in Khartoum State, Sudan. Magnitude, consequences and healthcare utilization: a community-based survey”
- Thanh, Duong Cong
"People Living With HIV in Viet Nam: Individual and Contextual Factors Affecting Risk Taking, Health and Help Seeking Behaviour"
- Finger, Jonas D. (Dr. Philos)
“Social inequality in physical activity and nutrition in Germany”
- Byamugisha, Robert - Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV programme in Eastern Uganda: Men’s involvement in a changing HIV testing policy context
- Kahabuka, Catherine - “Care seeking and management of common childhood illnesses in Tanzania: Questioning the quality of primary care services”
- Kayeyi, Nkomba - Trends in HIV Prevalence and Sexual Behaviour among Young People in Zambia: geographical and socio-economic differentials.
- Lunde, Torleif Markussen. On the dynamics of two efficient malaria vectors of the Afrotropical region: Anopheles gambiae s.s. and Anopheles arabiensis.
- Mbawalla, Hawa Shariff - Planning, implementation and evaluation of a school program to promote oral health among Tanzanian adolescents
- Shumbullo, Eskindir Loha - Variation in malaria transmission in southern Ethiopia: The impact of prevention strategies and a need for targeted intervention
- Spjeldnæs, Ingrid Onarheim Family values of young people in Limpopo, South Africa: A sociocultural psychological study on perceptions and experiences of reproduction and parenthood
- Østebø, Marit Tolo Translations of Gender Equality in International Aid. Perspectives from Norway and Ethiopia
- Nils Gunnar Songstad
“Health worker motivation in a low-income context; the case of rural health services in Tanzania”
- Chen Yuan Chiang (Dr.Philos)
“Integration of tuberculosis services in Taiwan, 2001: challenges and opportunities”
- Nicola Barsdorf
"South Africa's Duty to Support Health Research for the Global Poor"
- Jolly K. Nankunda
“Individual peer counselling for exclusive breastfeeding in Uganda”
- Elin Hestvik
“Helicobacter pylori and faecal calprotectin in apparently healthy and HIV-infected Ugandan children”
«HIV testing and HIV-related stigma in Zambia»
- Daniel G. Datiko “Improving Tuberculosis Control in Ethiopia: Performance of TB control programme, community DOTS and its cost-effectiveness”
- Dipak Sapkota “S100 Gene Family Members in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinomas (OSCCs): Functional Characterization of S100A14 in Proliferation and Invasion of OSCC Derived Cells”
- Eli Fjeld Falnes ”The mother, her confidants and the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) services in the Kilimanjaro region, Tanzania”
- Kijakazi Obed Mashoto “Dental caries, oral health-related quality of life and Atraumatic restorative treatment (ART): a study of adolescents in Kilwa district of Tanzania”
- Grace Ndeezi ”Multiple micronutrient supplementation in HIV-infected children – a randomised trial among children aged 1-5 years in Uganda”
- Peter Jay Chipimo “Mental health in the era of HIV: Investigating mental distress, its determinants, conceptual models and impact of HIV in Zambia”
- Mercy Njeru “HIV testing services in Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia: Determinants, experiences and responsiveness”
- Lars Thore Fadnes ”Counselling, child growth and feeding of children in Uganda in the era of HIV: Contexts and consequences”
- Michael Aloyce Munga “The unequal distribution of health workers in Tanzania: Its magnitude, causes and remedies”
- Nazik Mostafa Nurelhuda “Aspects of dental caries in Sudanese schoolchildren”
- Philippa Musoke (Dr.philos) “Paediatric HIV-1 infection in Uganda: natural history and early antiretroviral treatment response”
- Sigrun Henjum “Excess iodine intake among refugees from Western Sahara. A cross-sectional study of long-term refugees located in Tindouf, Algeria”
- Victoria Nankabirwa “Child health in a Ugandan cohort: Studies on survival, vaccination and malaria”
- Ying Xue "Interactions between endothelial and bone marrow stromal cells of relevance to bone tissue engineering"
- Zeyede K. Zeleke “Respiratory health among cement workers in Ethiopia “
- Esther Stanslaus Ngadaya: "Passive case finding: Diagnostic approaches, cost and delay in TB management in Dar es Salaam and Pwani regions, Tanzania"
- Maria Mathisen: "Epidemiological and clinical studies of viral pneumonia in young children in Bhaktapur, Nepal." --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Øystein Evjen Olsen: "Barriers of Implementing Emergency Obestric Care in Northern Tanzania: Balancing Quality and Quantity" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Demissew Beyene: "Towards improved diagnosis of tuberculous lymphadenitis"
2009 - 1990
- Margaret Nekesa Wandera: "Oral disease and Oral health realted quality of life in pregnancy and early childhood: Surveys from urban and rural areas of Uganda" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Vincent Didas Assey: “Controlling iodine deficiency disorders through salt iodation in Tanzania” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Sam Agatre Okuonzi: “Free market illusions: health sector reforms in Uganda 1987 – 2007” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Bernard James Ngowi: ”HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis coinfection in rural northern Tanzania. Epidemiology, clinical presentation and impact on CD4 T-cell counts” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Ingunn Marie Stadskleiv Engebretsen: ”Feeding and growth of infants in Eastern Uganda: Methodological challenges and associated factors”
- Sopheap Heng: ”Epidemiological contexts of the HIV epidemic in Cambodia: changes over time and links to preventive interventions”
- Ingvild Fossgard Sandøy: "Investigating trends in HIV transmission and risk factors in Zambia" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Matilda Mtaya: ”Malocclusion and quality of life in Tanzanian schoolchildren” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Akwilina Kayumba: ”Work Environment and Health among Sisal Processors in Tanzania”
- Hanifa Bachou: ”The challenge of improving the management of hospitalised children with severe acute malnutrition in Uganda” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Sebalda Charles Leshabari: "Infant feeding in the context of HIV infection: Mother’s experiences and programme implications for maternal and child health services in Tanzania" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Kumbutso Dzekedzeke: "Adult mortality in the era of HIV in Zambia: making plausible estimates of adult mortality and the impact of HIV from limited data"
- Khadija Innocensia Yahya-Malima: "Epidemiological context of HIV infection in rural Manyara and Singida regions, Tanzania; antenatal and population-based studies"
- Mohammed Al-Haroni: “Antibiotic resistance in oral microbiota; a study on prevalence, molecular analysis and possible contributing factors in Yemen and Norway” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Irene Anderson Kida: "Examining tooth loss, oral impacts on daily performances and satisfaction with chewing ability: a household survey of older adults in Tanzania. --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Estifanos Biru Shargie: "Trends, challenges and opportunities in tuberculosis control in rural Ethiopia. Epidemiological and operational studies in a resource-constrained setting" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Charles Michelo: "Trends and determinants of HIV prevalence in Zambia: Evidence from surveys in selected communities" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Degu Jerene Dare: "HIV antiretroviral therapy in Ethiopia. Overcoming implementation challenges.” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Elizabeth Anne Okumu Dimba: "Khat (Catha edulis, Forsk.) induces apoptosis in leukaemia cell lines
- Deodatus Conatus Kakoko: “Voluntary HIV counselling and testing service uptake among primary school teachers in Mwanza, Tanzania: assessment of socio-demographic, psychosocial and socio-cognitive aspects” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Charles Karamagi: ”Supporting Mothers for Child Health and Nutrition in Uganda”
- Ruan Jian Ping: ”Fluoride, dental fluorosis and caries in China”
- Simon Henry David Mamuya: ”Dust exposure and respiratory health problems in a labour-intensive coal mine in Tanzania” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Jamil David: “Dental caries among adolescents. Implications for planning oral health services in India and Norway” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Suzanne Namusoke Kiwanuka: “Sugar snack consumption, caries experience and dental pain: surveys of 3-5- and 10-14-year-old children” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Mabula Joseph Kasubi: ”Detection and molecular characterization of herpes simplex virus from Tanzania and Norway” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Nezar Noor Al-hebshi: “Khat and oral microbiota – a microbial study with relevance to periodontitis and dental caries” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Espérance Kashala: “Mental health of African school children – Epidemiological, clinical and neuropsychological studies from Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of Congo” --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Daniela Elena Costea: "Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in normal and neoplastic human oral mucosa - a study on in vitro organotypic models" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Candia Moshiro: “The epidemiology of injuries in an urban and two rural areas of Tanzania. A population-based study”
- Julius Mwaiselage: "Dust exposure and respiratory health effects in the cement industry."
- Christopher Oleke: ”The challenge of orphans in the era of AIDS: Assessing community experience in Uganda”
- Bjarne Robberstad: "Economic evaluation of health interventions in sub-Saharan Africa. Applied economic evaluations and studies on time preferences for health in Tanzania"
- Henry Wamani: "Malnutrition and child health inequalities. The case of Uganda and sub-Saharan Africa"
- Eliud Richard Wandwalo: "Community tuberculosis care in Tanzania: the role of direct observation of tuberculosis treatment and collaborative TB and HIV/AIDS intervention"
- Fantaye Wondwossen: "Dental fluorosis in Ethiopia. An assessment of dental fluorosis and relation to dental caries as well as the social acceptance of fluorotic teeth in rural and urban areas"
- Håvard Valvatne (PhD): "Colonization Factors of Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli; detection, characterization and expression"
- Denbel, Mekonnen K. (PhD): "Molecular approaches to the diagnosis of Mycobacteria with special reference to Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Mycobacterium bovis and Mycobacterium leprae"
- Hardie, Jon Andrew (Dr. Med): "Respiratory health and normative values for pulmonary function tests and arterial blood gases in the elderly: a Norwegian general population survey"
- Hinderaker, Sven Gudmund (Dr. Med): "Perinatal mortality and anaemia in pregnancy in rural northern Tanzania" --- PhD thesis (PDF-format)
- Kazaura, Method R. (PhD): "Birth defects and age effects"
- Kisanga, Elton Richard (PhD): "Pharmacology of low-dose tamoxifen regimens in breast cancer treatment"
- Lugada, Eric Stephen (PhD): "Affordable alternatives for managing HIV infected patients in a resource-poor country, Uganda"
- Mfinanga, Sayoki Godfrey M. (PhD): "Mycobacterial adenitis in Arusha, Tanzania: epidemiology and diagnostic challenges"
- Mwanza, Jean Claude (PhD): "Neuro-Ophthalmology of Konzo, Human African Trypanosomiasis and NeuroAIDS"
- Mwaiselage, Julius (PhD): "Dust exposure and respiratory health effects in the cement industry"
- Okullo, Isaac (Dr. Odont): "Assessing oral impacts on daily performance, dental caries and aspects of oral care services among adolescents in Uganda"
- Aminmohammed Awadia K. (Dr. Odont): "Fluoride and dental health. An assessment of some factors related to dental fluorosis and dental caries in Tanzania"
- Darout, Ismail A. (Dr. Odont): "The natural toothbrush “miswak” as an alternative to the modern toothbrush. A clinical, microbial and chemical evaluation"
- Haile, Yosef (PhD): "Mycobacterila mammalian cell entry (mce) operons and the significance of RNA for the detection of mycobacterial specimens"
- Kapiriri, Lydia (Dr. Med): "Opportunities for public accountability in priority setting in health care: The case of Uganda"
- Madebo, Tesfaye (Dr. Med): "Clinical and operational challenges in the control of tuberculosis in south Ethiopia"
- Steinsland, Hans (PhD): "The epidemiology of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infections and diarrhea in early childhood"
- Strand, Tor Arne (Dr. Med): "Zinc and Infectious Disease – studies of mice and men"
- Tumwine, James K. (PhD): "Childhood diarrhoea and nutrition in Uganda. Studies in diarrhoea, water, sanitation, nutrition and emerging protozoa"
- Demissie, Meaza (Dr. Med): "Challenges of tuberculosis control in Ethiopia"
- Fischer, Thea Kølsen (Dr. Med): "Epidemiological studies ofrotavirus infection in Guinea- Bissau, West Africa"
- Masalu, Joyce R. (Dr. Odont): "Oral health behaviour and oral quality of life among students in Tanzania Intervention opportunities"
- Moland, Karen Marie (Dr. Polit): "Giving birth in Kilimanjaro. The politics of knowledge in moral contexts"
- Olsen, Bjørg Evjen (Dr. Med): "Motherhood - a hazardous endeavour. Maternal deaths and urinary tract infections in pregnancy in rural northern Tanzania"
- Trovik, Tordis Agnete (Dr. Odont): "Tooth extraction in general dental practice: A study of time trend, normative and perceived need for replacement"
- Bondevik, Gunnar Tschudi (Dr. Med): "Anaemia and Nutritional deficiencies in pregnant Nepali women"
- Loro, Lado Lako (Dr. Odont): "Apoptosis in oral squamous cell carcinoma"
- Masatu, Melkiory C. (Dr. Med): "Promoting reproductive health of Tanzanian young people. Intervention Opportunities"
- Mbonde, Martin (Dr. Med): "A Pathological study of Carcinomas of the Female breast in Tanzania" (Sandwich with MUCHS)
- Muna, Ziad (Dr. Scient): "Studies on the antioxidant potential of tetradecylthioacetic acid in relation to atherosclerosis"
- Mylvaganam, Haima (Dr. Med): "Molecular epidemiology of Streptococcus pyogenes"
- Khazen, Reem A. Rahil (Dr. Scient): "Multi-element analysis in humans by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry with emphasis on trace elements. Methodology and application"
- Rwenyonyi, Charles M. (Dr. Odont): "Dental fluorsis and dental caries in rural Western Uganda; Measurement and determinants"
- Tessema, Tsigeweini. A. (Dr. Med): "Improving Case-finding in Tuberculosis Control by Antigen Detection, Clinical Scoring and Serology"
- Blystad, Astrid (Dr. Polit): "Precarious Procreation"
- Cimpan, Michaela Roxana (Dr. Odont): "In vitro biological effects and physical properties of poly(methyl methacrylate)-based denture base resins"
- Haram, Liv (Dr. Polit): "Women out of sight. Modern Women in Gendered Worlds: The Case of the Meru of Northern Tanzania"
- Mustafa, Tehmina (Dr. Med): "Murine models of chronic tuberculosis: significance of granuloma morphology, apoptosis and immune evasion"
- Phyu, Sabai (Dr. Med): "Mouse models for latent and slowly progressive tuberculosis: Host immune responses and importance of compartmentalization"
- Ibrahim, Salah Osman (Dr. Odont): "Keratins, human papilloma virus and protooncogenes in oral squamous cell carcinomas from snuffdippers and non-snuff-dippers from the Sudan and Scandinavia"
- Rekdal, Ole Bjørn (Dr. Polit): "The invention by tradition: Creativity and change among the Iraqw of northern Tanzania"
- El-Madhun, Abdullah Sami (Dr. Scient): "Characteristics of the Humoral Immune Response after Parental Influenza Vaccination"
- Sims, Tom J. (PhD): "Recognition of Cross-reactive and Strain-variable Antigens of Actinobacillus Actinomycetemcomitans, Prophyromonas Gingivalis and Bacteriodes Forsythus by Antibodies in Sera from Periodontitis Patients,-with reference to the development of Vaccines"
- Cuida, Michaela (Dr. Odont): "Host defence factors in Sjogren's syndrome with special reference to calprotectin"
- Ali, A. Raof W. Wahab (Dr. Odont): Comparative Identification and Characterization of Selected Putative Periodontal Pathogens in Norwegian, Sudanese and Romanian Adults. With Special Reference to Typing of Porphyromonas Gingivalis.
- Lie, Gro Therese (Dr. Psychol): The Disease that Dares Not Speak its Name. Studies on Factors of Importance for Coping with HIV/AIDS in Northern Tanzania.
- Lugoe, Wycliffe L. (PhD): Prediction of Tanzanian students` HIV risk and preventive behaviours.
- Mnyika, Kagoma S. (Dr. Med): Epidemiology of HIV-1 infection in northern Tanzania.
- Zewdie, Teka (PhD): Mother-Child Relational Patterns in Ethiopia. Issues of developmental theories and intervention programmes.
- Demoz, Abraham (Dr. Med): The Influence of omega-3 Fatty Acids and Sulphur Substituted Fatty Acids Peroxisomes and Oxidative Status.
- Grewal, Harleen M.S. (Dr. Med): Colonization factors of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli: Detection and expression.
- Holm-Hansen, Carol Church (Dr. philos): Detection and characterization of HIV-1 from Tanzania and Romania.
- Howlett, William P. (Dr. Med): Neurological Disorders in Tanzania. Studies on HIV-1, Guillain-Barré Syndrome and Konzo.
- Hussain, Akhtar (PhD): Night blindness in Bangladesh - diagnosis, determinants and prevention
- Andrews, Barry John (PhD): "The Chemotherapy of pathogenic protozoa - in vitro and in vivo studies with bacitracin zink"
- Asaidu, Daniel Kwaku (Dr. Med): "Modulation of Hepatic Lipid Metabolism by 3-thia fatty Acids"
- Asiedu, Mathilda Steiner (Dr. Scient): "Evaluation of the nutritive value of locally processed fish and cereals from Africa"
- Lindtjørn, Bernt (Dr. Med): "Child health and nutrition. A study from drought prone areas in southern Ethiopia"
- Sommerfelt, Halvor (Dr. Med): "DNA Hybridization for Identification of Enterotoxigenic Escherichia Coli"